Dordogne valley, the Engranne hydrographic network, slopes or spawning grounds, the landscapes and natural habitats of our territory are worthy of interest. Find below the natural areas protected or referenced on the inventory of Natural Areas of Ecological Faunistic and Floristic Interest (ZNIEFF).
The Natura 2000 network
Europe has a variety of climates, landscapes and cultures which leads to a very high biodiversity. Natura 2000 is a European network of sites, representative of this diversity, where the preservation of habitats and natural species is ensured.
This ambitious system aims to preserve protected species and conserve environments while taking into account human activities and the practices that have made it possible to save them to this day. This network is not a cover, but it is an approach allowing the contractualization of land for the sustainable management of certain habitats of community interest.
The Castillon-Pujols inter-municipal territory lists two Natura 2000 zones:
The Dordogne valley is home to a remarkable biodiversity of plant and animal species on a national, European and global scale. Thus many rare and endangered species in other territories remain in the Dordogne valley and in particular around aquatic environments.
We can cite among these:
migratory fish (including in particular sturgeon, salmon),
- mammals (the European otter, the European mink),
- birds (night heron, rock blackbird, bank swallows),
- reptiles (the pond turtle), batrachians (agile frog),
- molluscs (pearl mussel, large mussel),
- insects (mercury agrion, succise checkerboard),
- bats (horseshoe bats),
- plants (angelica of the estuaries, swimming streamer)
The Engranne hydrographic network
The “Engranne Hydrographic Network” site, centered on the watercourse, its tributaries and associated environments, is home to 6 habitats and 11 species of community interest, including 1 habitat (alluvial forests with black alder and common ash) and 1 species (European mink) whose conservation is considered a priority.
In 2018, the Syndicat Mixte Eaux et Rivières de l'Entre Deux Mers implemented several agro-environmental and climate measures in favor of agriculture, for more environmentally friendly practices with a financial contribution.
The inventory of Natural Areas of Faunistic and Floristic Ecological Interest (ZNIEFF) aims to identify and describe sectors with strong biological capacities and a good state of conservation.
There are two types of ZNIEFF:
- Type I ZNIEFFs: sectors of great biological or ecological interest
- type II ZNIEFFs: large, rich and little modified natural areas, offering significant biological potential.
This inventory has today become one of the major elements of nature protection policy. It must be consulted within the framework of regional planning projects (town planning document, creation of protected areas, development of departmental career plans, etc.).
The Castillon-Pujols intercommunal territory lists 10 ZNIEFF
- Valley and slopes of the Engranne
- Spawning grounds of Saint Jean de Blaignac
- Limestone slopes from St Emilion to Castillon-la-Bataille
- Hillsides of Sainte-Colombe
- Limestone slopes of Pujols
- Spawning grounds of Flaujagues and Lamothe Montravel
- Spawning grounds of Pessac-sur-Dordogne
- Spawning grounds of the Gambul
- Beaupoils spawning grounds