The origin of the name Castillon comes from the Latin Castellum, designating the "fort" or the "fortified castle" therefore of a location with a fortified building.
The site has always been used as a strategic place to monitor 2 km to the east of the Pas de Rauzan ford, the only point of passage required to cross the Dordogne. In 1953, the town was named by the name it bears today in reference to the battle of July 17, 1453 which took place at the foot of the town and which marked the end of the 100 year war between the French and the English.
Today Castillon-la-Bataille is renowned for its dynamism and friendliness. The Dordogne river with its waters full of fish, offers local gastronomy lampreys, pibales, shads, and other species, which it is judicious to accompany wines from the Côtes de Castillon.
Sports or leisure stays, the Castillonnais offers a wide range of activities, leisure and entertainment.